Author Topic: 12th MALAYSIAN GENERAL ELECTIONS - SELAMAT MENGUNDI!!!  (Read 12508 times)

Offline mrfeelgood

• ADMINISTRATOR
  • Founder
  • Cookie Points +1/-0
  • ITS NOT HOW YOU DRIVE, ITS HOW YOU ARRIVE!!!
    • KakiGolf
  • Club: Kelab KakiGolf
  • Handicap: 17
Re: 12th MALAYSIAN GENERAL ELECTIONS - SELAMAT MENGUNDI!!!
« Reply #15 on: March 09, 2008, 12:59:52 PM »
Woke up dis morning, read the papers & almost fell off my chair...  :o

BN lost Kedah, Perak & Selangor 2 the opposition.  Wow!!! the people must be really cheesed off with the present leadership. Losing Penang wasn't really a shocker 2 me .... & Kelantan - Well!! UMNO wud need divine intervention 2 get back Kelantan ...  :D :D

But Kedah, Perak & Selangor - losing all 3 states in one go?  If Pak Lah doesn't get the hint, then wat they say about him being clueless must be true.  ;)

Really! don't u juz love Malaysians - Even when we protest, we do it  our way - " lepak style" - doing wat needs 2 be done quietly ..  Bloodless coup thro' the Ballot Box ... Revolution the Msian way!!!  ...  :)

Well!! one thing is 4 sure ... democracy is alive & kicking in Msia! The silent majority has spoken & indeed its become a deafening voice not 2 be taken 4 granted.

Traditionally safe UMNO seats going to the opposition - I can only see it as a sign that the silent non-UMNOputera Malays are protesting ... UMNO members shud take notice of this when they go 4 the UMNO General Elections later dis year.  AND hopefully they're not as clueless.

« Last Edit: March 09, 2008, 01:08:14 PM by mrfeelgood »

Offline amir

• Cookie Points +0/-0
  • Club: Kelabu Malami
  • Handicap: 10
« Reply #16 on: March 09, 2008, 01:18:07 PM »
The people has voted and the people has decided.

Hopefully, the vanquished will show dignity in defeat, and the victors will be humbled in their hour of triumph.

In an unprecedented chapter of our history, the real work has just begun for PKR, DAP and PAS. Together they must show us the better way in terms of power sharing, a better way forward towards a more harmonious and prosperous Malaysia.

None of them won alone. Their partnership is untried and untested. I pray good sense will prevail among them. The new govts of the respective state under their care must demonstrate a holistic approach towards development and nation-building.

For our nation to move forward, we must bear one another's burden. The marginalised must be incorporated into the mainstream. Then only will our society be safe.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2008, 01:20:03 PM by amir »
"Golf is so popular simply because it is the best game in the world at which to be bad". A.A. Milne

Offline mr.tee75

• Cookie Points +0/-0
  • Handicap: 8
« Reply #17 on: March 09, 2008, 01:45:36 PM »
Another historic MERDEKA with a bloodless coup!

We Malaysians have again done it our way - LEPAK STYLE even when we revolt.

Bless my fellow Malaysians. Bless my country.

:) :) :)

Offline amir

• Cookie Points +0/-0
« Reply #18 on: March 09, 2008, 02:16:12 PM »

But Kedah, Perak & Selangor - losing all 3 states in one go?  If Pak Lah doesn't get the hint, then wat they say about him being clueless must be true.  ;)

The most honourable thing for Pak Lah to do is to resign and pass the party leadership to Najib.

Pak Lah harus menerima haikat bahawa kepimpinannya telah di tolak oleh rakyat.

Kalau beliau mempuyai maruah diri, beliau harus letakan jawatan. Bukankah itu yang dilakukan oleh Allahyarham TunKu Abdul Rahman, Bapa Merdeka, yang telah memberi laluan kepada Tuk Razak, timbalannya untuk menerajui Umno setelah Perikatant kehilangan banyak kerusi DUN dan Parlimen dalam pilihan raya 1969.

"Golf is so popular simply because it is the best game in the world at which to be bad". A.A. Milne

Offline amir

• Cookie Points +0/-0
« Reply #19 on: March 09, 2008, 05:50:17 PM »
excepts taken from another website:

TDM : Pak Lah Should Take Full Responsibiliy

Abdullah Ahmad Badawi should accept full responsibillity for the BN's defeat and losses in the general election, said former Prime Minister Dr Mahathir Mohamad.
Just as Abdullah had, in the 2004 general election, accepted 100 per cent the BN's huge victory credited to him.

Dr Mahathir said (in such a situation) the Japanese would have committed harakiri.

"But I think Malays are not up to this yet. I think he should consider stepping down," he said.

Asked whether he would step down if he were in Abdullah's shoes, Dr Mahathir said he would because it was the wishes of the people.

Dr Mahathir said Abdullah had destroyed Umno.
"He has destroyed BN, and he should be responsible for this massive defeat," he told a news conference held at his residence at The Mines in Seri Kembangan late this morning.
Present, besides reporters from the mainstream and foreign media, were bloggers from the new media.

Dr Mahathir said it was shocking that the BN lost in five states and the Federal Territory, indicating that all the Malays, Chinese and Indians rejected the coalition.

To a question of whether he thought Abdullah would step down anytime soon, he said he doubted that seeing that Abdullah remained detached from the real situation and from the fact that the people do not support his leadership.

This was because those who should have told him the truth were not doing so.

Dr Mahathir said that it should also be noted that the vote against the BN could not be literally translated as support for the opposition per se.

"There was no other alternative for the people but to vote for the opposition."

To another question, Dr Mahathir said it was up to Umno to decide on Abdullah' successor should he step down.

He also noted the "amazing victory" of Umno deputy president Najib Razak who obtained an increased majority in Pekan.

"His majority increased while Abdullah's decreased quite significantly," he remarked.

On whether the simple majority obtained by the BNwould affect investors' confidence, Dr Mahathir said it would as such a government was a weak government, especially in a multi-racial country and this could cause instability.

Dr Mahathir remarked that he himself had not expected BN's huge losses.

I like this statement best:-

Dr Mahathir said (in such a situation) the Japanese would have committed harakiri.

.... "But I think Malays are not up to this yet. I think he should consider stepping down," he said. .....

:D :D :D :D

Offline mr.tee75

• Cookie Points +0/-0
« Reply #20 on: March 09, 2008, 06:27:14 PM »
excepts taken from another website:

TDM : Pak Lah Should Take Full Responsibiliy

Abdullah Ahmad Badawi should accept full responsibillity for the BN's defeat and losses in the general election, said former Prime Minister Dr Mahathir Mohamad.
Just as Abdullah had, in the 2004 general election, accepted 100 per cent the BN's huge victory credited to him.

"But I think Malays are not up to this yet. I think he should consider stepping down," he said.

hmmmm!!! Case of "pot calling the kettle black" ?!!  ;) ;) ;)

Offline AnaRashid

• Cookie Points +0/-0
« Reply #21 on: March 10, 2008, 09:36:05 AM »
Life must go on.I voted the opposition in the very recent election and I don't mind admiting this. I voted for the ruling coalition 2 elections ago, and at the election after that, my votes were split.

Why? Because I vote for the personality and not the party. And specific to the recent elections, because I feel its about time our Parliment sees and hear more voices from the opposition - not to just oppose everything that the ruling party does but for more check and balances. 

For when there are too many members of the same team in the playing field, the trend is for one to outshine the other. Things are done to show off ones' talents and achievements and instead of healthy debates, we have childish bickering and fights, shouting matches even. And after that, we find that no solutions are derived. They apologise - kiss and make up and go for coffee together to laugh off their childish behaviour.

Everything that is proposed gets the "Aye" from members of the floor because they are all on the same team. Never mind that the idea is NOT what the public wants or need...

So now lets see and hear more matured debates in the parliment. More careful thoughts presented in the debates. More solutions derived and not mere opposing of ideas for the sake of "menjatuhkan kawan"...

Its just too bad the voices of the non-Bumiputras are now more from the opposition, though.

Offline mrfeelgood

• ADMINISTRATOR
  • Founder
  • Cookie Points +1/-0
    • KakiGolf
« Reply #22 on: March 10, 2008, 06:57:09 PM »
The following report was taken from the STARonline:

http://thestar.com.my/metro/story.asp?file=/2008/3/10/north/20596683&sec=north

Zam: Protest voters cause defeat

SUNGAI PETANI: Former Information Minister Datuk Seri Zainuddin Maidin said protest voters among Indians and Chinese caused his defeat in the Sungai Petani parliamentary seat.

“It is not that they love Parti Keadilan Rakyat or PAS more that they voted against me,” he said, adding that Indians who were loyal Barisan supporters turned against him due to certain dissatisfaction.

“The Chinese showed their resentment because of the economic backlash they often complained about,” he said in accepting his defeat.

“So, PAS and PKR should not be overly proud of their win (in Kedah),” he said.

“The people may have to pay a price for their decision,” he said yesterday. Zainuddin lost to Sungai Petani PKR chief Johari Abdul by 9,381 votes, with the latter garnering 33,822 votes against Zainuddin’s 24,441.

=========================================================

Sore Loser?

Offline mr.tee75

• Cookie Points +0/-0
« Reply #23 on: March 10, 2008, 07:04:55 PM »
The following report was taken from the STARonline:

http://thestar.com.my/metro/story.asp?file=/2008/3/10/north/20596683&sec=north

Zam: Protest voters cause defeat

SUNGAI PETANI: Former Information Minister Datuk Seri Zainuddin Maidin said protest voters among Indians and Chinese caused his defeat in the Sungai Petani parliamentary seat.

“It is not that they love Parti Keadilan Rakyat or PAS more that they voted against me,” he said, adding that Indians who were loyal Barisan supporters turned against him due to certain dissatisfaction.

“The Chinese showed their resentment because of the economic backlash they often complained about,” he said in accepting his defeat.

“So, PAS and PKR should not be overly proud of their win (in Kedah),” he said.

“The people may have to pay a price for their decision,” he said yesterday. Zainuddin lost to Sungai Petani PKR chief Johari Abdul by 9,381 votes, with the latter garnering 33,822 votes against Zainuddin’s 24,441.

=========================================================

Sore Loser?

hehehe!! he's in denial or probably he's delusional ...  but whatevr it is, i think he's got thick skull ..ermm!! nope, i think thick skin's the better word lah...

Offline mr.tee75

• Cookie Points +0/-0
« Reply #24 on: March 10, 2008, 07:28:31 PM »
but on a more serious note ...

i read this posting at another forum, with all these calls asking for pak lah's resignation, this post does make some sense.

reposting it here  ........

LIKE IT OR NOT, WE HAVE TO ACCEPT THE FACT THAT PAK LAH WAS ELECTED BY A MAJORITY OF FELLOWS M'SAINS TO LEAD THE NEXT ADMINISTRATION, SO BE IT.

ITS ALSO A FACT THAT TDM & THE UMNO WARLORDS KNEW UMNO IS AILING & CAN'T HEAL BY ITSELF.

BUT FOR THE FACT THAT TDM TO HAVE A PRESS CONFERENCE & ASK THE PPL TO PRESSURE HIM TO TENDER HIS RESIGNATION IS THE MOST IRRESPONSIBLE THING TO DO.

FOR THIS IS UMNO PROBLEM,LET UMNO ITSELF DECIDE WHO THEY WANT FOR A PRESIDENT & AS THE NEXT PM, WHETHER THROUGH AN EGM OR DURING THEIR NEXT GENERAL MEETING. LET THEIR SUPREME COUNCIL HANDLE THEIR OWN PROBLEM.

WE ALREADY ACHIEVED OUR OBJECTIVE, TO DENY THE COALITION A 2/3 MAJORITY. OUR NEXT MOST IMPORTANT THING IS TO ASSIST THE ELECTED BARISAN RAKYAT CANDIDATES TO FULFILL THEIR OBLIGATIONS/PROMISES TO THE PPL IN THOSE 5 STATES.

SO DON'T GET THE PPL INVOLVE WITH UMNO INTERNAL PROBLEM...ITS NOT OUR FIGHT. AND IF WE ARE NOT CAREFUL & GET SUCKED INTO THEIR DILEMMA... IT MIGHT LEAD TO A TERRIBLE SETBACK. FOR WE MIGHT NOT BE AWARE THERE COULD BE SOME UNSCRUPULOUS INDIVIDUALS WILL USE THIS INTERFERENCE BY THE PPL AS AN OPPORTUNITY TO INCITE RACIAL DISCORD.

AFTER LAST NIGHT, WE FINALLY SAW A GLIMMER OF HOPE THAT WE... THE MALAYS, THE CHINESE, THE INDIANS & THE REST OF M'SIANS COULD UNITE & BE AS ONE... AS BANGSA MALAYSIA.

LET NO ONE UNDO WHAT WE HAVE ACHIEVED SO FAR... OTHERWISE ALL OUR EFFORT & HARD WORK FOR THE LAST FEW YEARS WILL BE A WASTE... A TERRIBLE, TERRIBLE WASTE.

LET US LEAVE THIS UMNO INTERNAL BICKERING TO THEMSELVES & JUST HELP OUR BROTHERS IN PKR, DAP, PAS TO CHART A BETTER FUTURE FOR OUR CHILDRENS & GRANDCHILDRENS.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2008, 07:32:34 PM by mr.tee75 »

Offline mrfeelgood

• ADMINISTRATOR
  • Founder
  • Cookie Points +1/-0
    • KakiGolf
« Reply #25 on: March 10, 2008, 08:03:10 PM »
ELECTIONS TRIVIA!! ELECTIONS TRIVIA!! ELECTIONS TRIVIA!!
OK! let's take a break & take a look at some facts & figures from the 12th General Elections:-

• The youngest candidate was PKR’s Nik Nazmi Nik Ahmad, who is 26. He defeated Seri Setia incumbent Seripa Noli Syed Hussin.

The oldest candidate was grandma Maimun Yusuf, 89, who contested in the Kuala Terengganu parliamentary seat.

• 56 also-rans from opposition parties and independent candidates lost their deposits after failing to secure one-eighth of the votes cast.

• The largest majority was won by DAP’s Teresa Kok against BN’s Carol Chew, by 36,492 votes in the Seputeh parliamentary seat in Kuala Lumpur.

The smallest majority was just 14 votes for BN’s Hamdi Abu Bakar who beat Abu Bakar Haji Hussain of PAS in the Pengkalan Baharu state seat in Perak.

• Four pivotal players in the Lingam tape scandal also won: Loh Gwo Burne (who recorded the footage), Wee Choo Keong (lawyer who represented VK Lingam’s brother during the inquiry) and R Sivarasa and Sim Tze Tzin (listed as witnesses but eventually not called). All four are from PKR.

• There will be two ‘lone rangers’ in Parliament: Zulhasnan Rafique, the sole BN survivor in Kuala Lumpur’s 11 parliamentary seats - he took Setiawangsa; and DAP’s Chong Chieng Jen who won Bandar Kuching in Sarawak - the remaining 30 parliamentary seats went to BN.

• The biggest number of candidates was in the Sukau state seat, Sabah, where eight candidates ran, including five Independents.

Debutant politicians

Prominent blogger Jeff Ooi - whose campaign was done online and funds were raised through his website - won the Jelutong parliamentary seat in Penang for DAP. Other bloggers are Tony Pua (DAP, Petaling Jaya Utara parliamentary seat), Elizabeth Wong (PKR, Bukit Lanjan state seat) and Nik Nazmi Nik Ahmad (PKR, Seri Setia state seat).

Civil society activists who succeeded were Charles Santiago (DAP, water-privatisation issues), Edward Lee (DAP, local community), Elizabeth Wong and R Sivarasa (PKR, human rights).

Biggest blows

The losses in BN component parties will result in vacancies in various ministries, forcing a cabinet reshuffle.

Ministers:

S Samy Vellu (works ministry)
Shahrizat Abdul Jalil (women, family and community development ministry)
Zainuddin Maidin ( information ministry)
Abdul Aziz Shamsuddin (rural and territory development ministry)

Deputy ministers:
Chia Kwang Chye (information ministry)
G Palanivel (women, family and community development)
Tan Chai Ho (home ministry)S Sothinathan (natural resources and environment ministry)Donald Lim (tourism ministry)
Fu Ah Kiow (internal security ministry)
M Kayveas (Prime Minister’s Department)

Parliamentary secretaries:
Chew Mei Fun (women, family and community development ministry)
P Komala Devi (education ministry)
Lee Kah Choon (health ministry)
Ng Lip Yong (plantation industries and commodities ministry)
S Vigneswaran (youth and sports ministry)Rahman Ibrahim (home ministry)
Dr Mohd Ruddin Ab Ghani (science, technology and innovation ministry)
Yew Teong Look (federal territories ministry)

Post-election quotes

Anwar Ibrahim, PKR de facto leader, quoted in Star today

Some mentris besar in the past spent half a million ringgit to renovate their offices. Such things cannot be an example in this new administration.

Nurul Izzah Anwar, Lembah Pantai MP at a press conference yesterday

(On whether she will vacate the seat to force a by-election so that her father, Anwar Ibrahim, can re-enter politics after a five-year ban): I have already started working in my constituency. The question does not arise.

PPP president M Kayveas, quoted in Star today

Prior to the elections, Barisan Nasional had kept on telling people to show their dissatisfaction through the ballot box. Now they have really shown it.

Offline idzil

• Cookie Points +0/-0
  • I"M YOUR TRIPLE BOOGIE MAN!!!
  • Handicap: 12
« Reply #26 on: March 10, 2008, 08:37:19 PM »
LIKE IT OR NOT, WE HAVE TO ACCEPT THE FACT THAT PAK LAH WAS ELECTED BY A MAJORITY OF FELLOWS M'SAINS TO LEAD THE NEXT ADMINISTRATION, SO BE IT.

ITS ALSO A FACT THAT TDM & THE UMNO WARLORDS KNEW UMNO IS AILING & CAN'T HEAL BY ITSELF.

BUT FOR THE FACT THAT TDM TO HAVE A PRESS CONFERENCE & ASK THE PPL TO PRESSURE HIM TO TENDER HIS RESIGNATION IS THE MOST IRRESPONSIBLE THING TO DO.

FOR THIS IS UMNO PROBLEM,LET UMNO ITSELF DECIDE WHO THEY WANT FOR A PRESIDENT & AS THE NEXT PM, WHETHER THROUGH AN EGM OR DURING THEIR NEXT GENERAL MEETING. LET THEIR SUPREME COUNCIL HANDLE THEIR OWN PROBLEM.

WE ALREADY ACHIEVED OUR OBJECTIVE, TO DENY THE COALITION A 2/3 MAJORITY. OUR NEXT MOST IMPORTANT THING IS TO ASSIST THE ELECTED BARISAN RAKYAT CANDIDATES TO FULFILL THEIR OBLIGATIONS/PROMISES TO THE PPL IN THOSE 5 STATES.

SO DON'T GET THE PPL INVOLVE WITH UMNO INTERNAL PROBLEM...ITS NOT OUR FIGHT. AND IF WE ARE NOT CAREFUL & GET SUCKED INTO THEIR DILEMMA... IT MIGHT LEAD TO A TERRIBLE SETBACK. FOR WE MIGHT NOT BE AWARE THERE COULD BE SOME UNSCRUPULOUS INDIVIDUALS WILL USE THIS INTERFERENCE BY THE PPL AS AN OPPORTUNITY TO INCITE RACIAL DISCORD.

AFTER LAST NIGHT, WE FINALLY SAW A GLIMMER OF HOPE THAT WE... THE MALAYS, THE CHINESE, THE INDIANS & THE REST OF M'SIANS COULD UNITE & BE AS ONE... AS BANGSA MALAYSIA.

LET NO ONE UNDO WHAT WE HAVE ACHIEVED SO FAR... OTHERWISE ALL OUR EFFORT & HARD WORK FOR THE LAST FEW YEARS WILL BE A WASTE... A TERRIBLE, TERRIBLE WASTE.

LET US LEAVE THIS UMNO INTERNAL BICKERING TO THEMSELVES & JUST HELP OUR BROTHERS IN PKR, DAP, PAS TO CHART A BETTER FUTURE FOR OUR CHILDRENS & GRANDCHILDRENS.

This would only be relevant if you're not an umno member or an umno supporter.  I believe there were umno members who did not go out to vote as a sign of protest and umno supporters ( who are non-umno members ) who swung their votes in protest of umno, sending a signal that they wanted changes in umno. So let's all wait and see what's going to happen this coming umno's general elections.

I have to agree that it was the protest votes that made the difference.

Offline idzil

• Cookie Points +0/-0
« Reply #27 on: March 10, 2008, 08:52:55 PM »
Life must go on.I voted the opposition in the very recent election and I don't mind admiting this. I voted for the ruling coalition 2 elections ago, and at the election after that, my votes were split.

Why? Because I vote for the personality and not the party. And specific to the recent elections, because I feel its about time our Parliment sees and hear more voices from the opposition - not to just oppose everything that the ruling party does but for more check and balances. 

For when there are too many members of the same team in the playing field, the trend is for one to outshine the other. Things are done to show off ones' talents and achievements and instead of healthy debates, we have childish bickering and fights, shouting matches even. And after that, we find that no solutions are derived. They apologise - kiss and make up and go for coffee together to laugh off their childish behaviour.

Everything that is proposed gets the "Aye" from members of the floor because they are all on the same team. Never mind that the idea is NOT what the public wants or need...

So now lets see and hear more matured debates in the parliment. More careful thoughts presented in the debates. More solutions derived and not mere opposing of ideas for the sake of "menjatuhkan kawan"...

Its just too bad the voices of the non-Bumiputras are now more from the opposition, though.

Hi AnaRashid,

Welcome to this forum, nice to have you here. How about a brief intro?  ;)  ;D

Like you I too voted for the opposition this time round, but unlike you, this would be my first time in doing so. Why? my reason is basically quite a simple - I don't think Pak Lah is a capable PM and I don't like the idea of putting the future of a nation into the hands of his 32 year old (despite his OXCAMBRIDGE background) son-in-law.

So, not being an umno member, this was the only way I was able to show my protest and I did just that, I voted for the other side.

Offline idzil

• Cookie Points +0/-0
« Reply #28 on: March 10, 2008, 09:06:27 PM »
Just to add ...

I don't TDM was wrong in saying that Pak Lah should resign. The signs are all there, written on the wall - if Pak Lah was to stay on, the remaining states will most likely fall into the hands of the opposition party in the next general election.

Offline samsul

• Cookie Points +0/-0
  • ...golfaholics sdn bhd....
  • Club: Impian
« Reply #29 on: March 11, 2008, 11:02:31 AM »
This would be my 1st posting in this thread after the elections ... last few nights were plenty of teh tariks & kopi-Os at the mamak discussing the election results, so didn't really had the time to log-on  .. even missed the msian open ..  ;)

I would also have to admit that my votes were split - parliment to BN & state to BR (dont really think the term "opposition" is appropriate now) & I guess like many of my friends, we were making our protest through the ballot boxes, and for many of us, it was our 1st time voting for the BR. but even then, the magnitude of BN's defeat really surprised us. Let's hope this isn't the case of wanting to shake off the fruits from the tree but uprooting the entire tree instead.

Now that the dust has settled, so what's next? Its down to getting the real work done & delivering the promises - this would really be interesting to see. Cutting down inflation, reducing commodity & petrol prices?  How on earth would this possibly be achieved, I'm equally clueless - but we voted them in & that's what they promise to deliver ... Well! we'll just have to wait and see. We booted the butts out off the BN from Penang, Kedah, Perak & Sgor & I'm guessing if the BR doesn't deliver, we'll boot them out of office come next elections.

Hopefully, common sense prevail & the duty towards the rakyat overides any personal profits & there'll be no fighting over spoils of war. Winning Penang & Selangor, the 2 most industrialised states, is no small deal ... It would be interesting to see how DAP & PAS, with two very distinct idealogies, work hand-in-hand for the betterment of the rakyat.

The next few months would be interesting, so stay tuned! The voters are watching!
« Last Edit: March 11, 2008, 11:07:29 AM by sonicjazz »