Author Topic: TIGER WOOD - LATEST CHANGE OF DRIVER'S LOFT  (Read 3824 times)

Offline ZoeZ

• Verified Member
  • Cookie Points +0/-0
TIGER WOOD - LATEST CHANGE OF DRIVER'S LOFT
« on: June 05, 2009, 04:45:59 PM »
Hello evlibodii.......

Looking to be a very quiet Friday (forum-wise); so allow me to just add a topic that we could possibly discuss :-

It was reported today (via cnnsi) that Tiger Wood (for the ongoing Memorial Tournament, at least) has apparently changed the loft of his driver from 9.5 degree to 10 degree  :o  . It is completely clear yet what technical reasons behind the change although Tiger said his swing under Haney is different from previously thus the need for the change.

So, as far as I am concerned, there are several issues and perceptions that made me ponder upon this change :-

1) What does driver loft REALLY, REALLY, REALLY mean, especially to us amateurs (no offense to the many pros in the house)
2) If Tiger can change from 9.5 to 10 to improve his driving, can we amateurs then expect to improve our driving if we change our driver loft from already 10.5, to 11, to 12 or 13 degree, even
3) And we all know, buying a higher lofted driver (11 degree above) is not really a macho thing  ;D, perception wise, that is

So, ada tak any technically-inclined kakigolfers want to clarify on the above issues, add futher insights, perhaps.

Offline che

• Verified Member
  • Cookie Points +0/-0
  • Club: PDGCC
  • Handicap: 23
Re: TIGER WOOD - LATEST CHANGE OF DRIVER'S LOFT
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2009, 06:13:27 PM »
1) What does driver loft REALLY, REALLY, REALLY mean, especially to us amateurs

Fuhhh.... poning gak den ngan loft loft nih hehehe. But thanks to google, here is what I could share here...

The loft of a club is the angle made by the clubface relative to the vertical when the club is held properly. Thus, a 10.5 degree has one more degree of loft than a 9.5 degree.
The greater the loft, the higher will be the initial trajectory of the golf ball and the greater the backspin. Although a 10.5 degree won't necessarily launch a ball on a higher trajectory than a 9.5 degree because another factor that determines this is where the center of mass of the clubhead is.

So... maybe the Tiger wants to make sure his golf balls go higher with the new driver.... and possibly travel longer?

Hmmm.... interesting. Maybe I should change my driver too,  to a greater loft so that akunye drive tu leh kembang giler2 and go higher.... hehehe

« Last Edit: June 05, 2009, 06:16:14 PM by che »

Offline mrfeelgood

• ADMINISTRATOR
  • Founder
  • Cookie Points +1/-0
  • ITS NOT HOW YOU DRIVE, ITS HOW YOU ARRIVE!!!
    • KakiGolf
  • Club: Kelab KakiGolf
  • Handicap: 17
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2009, 10:06:08 PM »
Hello evlibodii.......

Looking to be a very quiet Friday (forum-wise); so allow me to just add a topic that we could possibly discuss :-

Yap!! Its been a quiet day at the forum ... Quiet as in postings je kot, tapi visitor-wise tetap ramai .... Must figure out a way how to get them from being "passive forum readers" to "active thread starters" ...  Any ideas?

Anyway! My excuse for the day? I was golfing @Monterez ... Ni baru je balik .... 

Offline mrfeelgood

• ADMINISTRATOR
  • Founder
  • Cookie Points +1/-0
    • KakiGolf
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2009, 10:07:09 PM »

Hmmm.... interesting. Maybe I should change my driver too,  to a greater loft so that akunye drive tu leh kembang giler2 and go higher.... hehehe

Pakai 3-wood je!!!  ;D

Offline mrfeelgood

• ADMINISTRATOR
  • Founder
  • Cookie Points +1/-0
    • KakiGolf
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2009, 10:10:59 PM »

So, ada tak any technically-inclined kakigolfers want to clarify on the above issues, add futher insights, perhaps.

Pak Zawawi aka Lorisimen!!! Maybe you would like to share your thoughts on this? Or perhaps our two resident golf pros .. IrwanMonterez and ProRahman?

« Last Edit: June 05, 2009, 10:55:34 PM by mrfeelgood »

Offline mrfeelgood

• ADMINISTRATOR
  • Founder
  • Cookie Points +1/-0
    • KakiGolf
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2009, 10:17:26 PM »

Can this be done?

1) Changing a 3-wood 15* loft to 12* 

OR

2) Shorten the length of your Driver

OR maybe ...

Don't do anything to your driver or your 3-wood but get a golf pro and get him to coach you until you're able to hit straight onto the middle of the fairway ....  ;D

Offline mrfeelgood

• ADMINISTRATOR
  • Founder
  • Cookie Points +1/-0
    • KakiGolf
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2009, 10:39:22 PM »
Or better still .... jangan pakai Driver ....  ;)

Nowadays I rarely use my Driver off the tee, and most of you guys would have noticed this I guess. And the reason being, like most high handicappers ( & me being one ) .. my ball kembang giler!!!

Anyway! Today @Monterez  I tried something else .... @Hole #8, I used an 8-iron off the tee..

The ball landed nicely before the "longkang". I then used a 5-wood and guess what? My second shot landed on the greens (OK-lah, not exactly "on" ... tepi skit kat apron .. kira "on" kampung lah  ;D ) ..... This has never happened to me before... slalu nyer 3 atau 4 baru "on", kekadang 5 hehehe!!!!

But the thing is.. my other 3 flight mates yg pakai Driver... 1 masuk air,1 lagi tak lepas entah ke mana2 bola pegi, and yg satu lagi entah masuk kat rough mana entah ...

The fact is, for most high handicap golfers (In fact almost all-lah .. me included!), for every 100 yards, their ball would usually deviate 10 yards from the target...

Again @Hole #18 (OB on the right) .... I used a 4-iron and the ball was safe... I then use my 5-wood for my 2nd shot .... The 3 others yg pakai Driver, only seorg je selamat ....

Maybe I was just lucky today ... Dunno! But I find that I don't lose that many balls and I don't have to search for lost balls that often now that my "Driver is On Leave" ...   8)

Just to qualify ... If you've no problems with your Driver then by all means ... go ahead and Drive off the tee ..  :) But me and my driver, we're having some "driving" issues!!!  >:(

;D ;D ;D

« Last Edit: June 07, 2009, 12:36:23 AM by mrfeelgood »

Offline ishakmy

• Verified Member
  • Cookie Points +0/-0
  • Handicap: 0 (Golf Pro)
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2009, 01:59:06 PM »
I can buy what Bro FG ideas.
Last week 4th. played at monterrez.
1st hole-mula2 nak tee off pakai iron3 tp pasal org ramai kat belakang terus tukar driver(malu),bila tee off bola tak ingat dunia masuk pond sebelah kanan.result double par.
last hole tee off pakai iron3,bola safely landed on the fairway.2nd.shot pakai iron 7,bola landing kat apron-managed to get par.

If your MOU dgn your driver ok, pakai aje.
Its is not how you drive,its how you arrive(betulke bahasa aku ni)

Offline Budakboy

• Golf Golf Golf and .....
  • Verified Member
  • Cookie Points +0/-0
  • www.MalaysianGolfer.org
  • Club: KGSS
  • Handicap: 18
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2009, 09:27:16 PM »
ala satu degree jer, apa da hal hehe...macam takder beza pun hehe O0