Author Topic: McILROY TO SWITCH FOCUS BACK TO GOLF  (Read 939 times)

Offline KAKIGOLF

• ADMINISTRATOR
  • Cookie Points +0/-0
    • kakiGOLF.com
  • Handicap: 3
McILROY TO SWITCH FOCUS BACK TO GOLF
« on: March 12, 2023, 04:45:41 PM »

McIlroy, who has been the most outspoken critic of LIV Golf, was asked if the imposition on his time since leading the counter-offensive against the Saudi-backed league that emerged as a rival to the U.S-based PGA Tour in 2022, might be catching up to him.

“Yeah, it’s fair,” the World No.3 said. “I’d love to get back to being a golfer. Look, it’s been a busy couple of weeks, and it’s been, honestly … a busy sort of six or eight months. But as I said at the start of the week, everything has sort of been announced now, and the wheels have been put in motion, so it should obviously quieten down from here.”

McIlroy was referring to the PGA Tour’s new scheduling initiative starting in 2024, that was introduced on Tuesday by commissioner Jay Monahan, which many argue mirrors LIV.

“It’s just the time management. That’s where I’ve maybe sacrificed a little bit of time with some of this other stuff. As I said, I’m ready to get back to being purely a golfer.” McIlroy added.

He admits being the face of the tour loyalists and the de facto leader among the player directors on the PGA Tour Policy Board, have not always easy and not always well received.

McIlroy's next start comes in two weeks at the final WGC-Dell Technologies Match Play in Austin, Texas, and will be his fourth start of the year. If he’s a bit tired, it’s not from too much golf.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2023, 06:06:09 PM by KAKIGOLF »